This easy and delicious chicken recipe – Herb and Citrus Oven Roasted Chicken Parts – is so fresh tasting it will make any day seem sunny. I season it with lemon and orange juice and fresh herbs like rosemary and thyme so it’s bursting with a citrus flavor that complements the chicken so well.
You can even get creative with this and follow some of the suggestions I make in my cook’s notes below. If you have extra time try marinating the chicken overnight. Please watch how I make this delicious recipe in the video below. You’ll find complete recipe instructions under the video.
- 10-12 pieces of bone in chicken parts (thighs and legs work well)
- 2 whole lemons, one juiced and one sliced
- 2 whole oranges, one juiced and one sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, or fresh chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, or fresh chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro as a garnish
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, sugar, chopped garlic, lemon juice, orange juice, and a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place chicken in a rimmed 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour olive oil mixture all over chicken turning pieces in pan to coat all sides.
- Place parts skin side up and spread them out evenly in the pan. Sprinkle evenly over chicken the Italian seasoning along with the rosemary, thyme, onion powder and paprika. Arrange slices of orange, lemon and onion around and under the chicken.
- Sprinkle everything very well with salt and pepper. Don't be afraid to season well. You don't want the chicken to be bland. Let chicken sit for about 20 minutes before baking so that it won't be ice cold when you put it in the oven.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400°F for about 1 hour or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear.
- Cook's Notes:
- For best results chicken can be marinated in a plastic container or bag for several hours or over night in the olive oil mixture.
- Extra fresh sprigs of rosemary and thyme can be added to the baking dish for extra flavor and garnish.
- Other herbs like basil and sage also work well and can be added.
- Limes can replace the lemons for a different flavor.
- Red pepper flakes can be added for extra spice.
- Honey can be used in place of the sugar
- A tablespoon of Soy Sauce works well in the olive oil mixture too.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake the chicken, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink inside.